Great news: With LW2015. using the same technique, you can now apply the clip map directly to the surface property. There is no need to create a separate object/layer anymore and you can actually save it as a material preset.
Why I like this technique:
- You can use it with any grass texture
- Very robust. You will not get any surprise during render time
- You can use it with whatever shape of grass patch
- Create your normal grass and texture it.
- Copy this grass to a new layer. Rename this layer grass3d.
- Move the object in grass3d layer by 2mm in y direction.
- Copy this object by 2mm in y direction 30 times.
- In layout, choose grass3d layer. Select render tab and click on clip map. Use the value below for the map. Experiment with values to get your own customised grass.
Obviously, I did not invent this technique. Click here for original discussion on Lightwave forum.
Please leave your comments below…